For information about what the Document Number Generator is and how to get to it, see this article.
This guide is intended for users who need to create and maintain numbering conventions in the BC PHP Document Number Generator solution. For a guide on how to use the Document Number Generator as an end user, see this article.
How to remove values from a category being used by a convention
Occasionally you may need to remove values from drop down lists if they are no longer appropriate to use in the project. For example, you may want to remove one of the companies that appears in a list of Contributing Companies.
This can be done from the Categories tab. Click on Edit Values beside the category you want to update.
You will see the values that are available to users to select from this category when they are reserving numbers. Currently, all of the values shown in the screenshot are visible to users.
You have the option to either Archive or Remove options, by clicking on the actions to the right of each of the category's values. The action takes effect immediately, there is no need to click Save after making this change.
The difference between Archive and Remove are detailed below.
- This option is available for all values.
- The value will no longer appear in the list when reserving numbers, but any existing reserved numbers will retain this value.
- The value will still appear in the category admin list.
- The value can be Unarchived if it is required again in future.
- In the screenshot below I have archived the ELC value. You can see that the action against it has now changed to Unarchive.
- This option is only available for values which have not been used in any reserved numbers.
- The value will no longer appear in the list when reserving numbers.
- This permanently removes the value from the category and the admin list.
- The value cannot be restored. It must be re-added if it is required again in future.
- In the screenshot below I have removed the WR value.